Randy Hain was my Faith and Good Counsel Show guest on May 21, 2013. Regular listeners to Catholic Community Radio may recognize Randy from his frequent appearances on our Wake Up Louisiana morning show, and his appearance on a previous episode of Faith and Good Counsel, where he has shared his expertise in the area of living a fully integrated Catholic life in the home, the workplace, and in the community. He is an expert in leadership, and is a prolific author and speaker with several books under his belt. He hosts an absolutely fabulous website – Integrated Catholic Life – that I utilize often in my own work in the New Evangelization.
In this episode, however, Randy was most courageous, kind (and always humble) in speaking with me on a very personal level about his precious son Alex who has high functioning autism. I know you will be as moved as I when you hear Randy speak so lovingly and truthfully about the joys and struggles in parenting a child with autism. I am so grateful to Randy for agreeing to share his story with each of us. He is a true St. Joseph with a servant heart. Randy and I share the hope and desire that his story may offer hope and consolation to anyone who is also walking this journey.
Our Lady of Good Counsel, to come to the aid of all who are walking the cross of autism or other neurological or mental difficulties, consoling them and their loved ones, and holding them in your mantle, and interceding for the graces necessary from your Divine Son to assist them in their very difficult journey to choose their course in accordance with their salvation. Amen.
Saints from whom we may ask for intercession for Autism:
- St. Dymphna (Patron Saint for Mental & Nervous problems)
- St. Rita of Cascia & St. Jude (Patron Saint of Impossible Cases)
- St. Philomena the Wonder Worker Novena for the healing of autism
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
- 54 Day Rosary Novena for the healing of autism
Some of the Resources for the Show:
- Autism.com: Secular source with a wealth of multidisciplinary information.
- Soundchoice.org: Dr. Theresa Diesher
- Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences