British poet Sally Read lived in a place of great anxiety as an atheist, but could not grasp why. She was perplexed by her anxiety, and a constant, tormenting fear of falling back upon a rock to be utterly destroyed.
That is, until 2010 when, after painful, confusing existential crises and deep sufferings, God revealed Himself to her. It was then that Sally began to realize that God had always been with her -that it was she who was blinded to His existence and His merciful love. God knew the absolute moment that she would be ready to receive Him, to bear fruit for Him. She now clings to the Rock Who is her redemption, serving Him through her gift for poetry and writing.
A thoughtful, modern conversion story unfolds within the pages of Night’s Bright Darkness through the beauty of poetic language written by Sally Read, a former psychiatric nurse, vehement atheist and radical feminist who is now devoutly Catholic.
I’m so grateful for Sally’s openness to join us for this delightful interview filled with immense depth as she speaks about the way in which God gently prepared her to receive Him.
- Sally’s poetry and books are featured here:
- Here are some additional interviews and articles about Sally Read, her conversion, and her beautiful poetry and writing.
- Posts about her story on Catholic Herald/UK
- Former Atheist Poet Reveals Details of Her Catholic Conversion
- Former Atheist Psychiatric Nurse Now Calls Herself Eucharistic
- On Meeting Sally Read: Poet, Writer, Convert from Atheism
- Emotions and Beliefs
- God & I: Sally Read
- Atheists Becoming Catholics Makes Catholics Really Excited